Saturday 23 November 2013

sweet potato brownies

It's been too long since I've last baked. Coming back from a two week trip in Minnesota where I ended up eating out everyday, home cooked food never tasted so good. Though there were some very good places (James Beard rarely disappoints!), nothing is comparable to mum's meals. I can't believe that Christmas is already coming up and it's unfortunate that I'm not in the full Holiday spirit. I think once my Christmas playlist and I start using my Santa mug, it'll set the mood right. Anyhow, this is my first attempt in baking a vegan dessert.

sweet potato brownies

Since I had on hand a sweet potato and medjool dates, why not bake a sweet potato brownie? I must say that I was pretty skeptical on how it'd turn out, and I think I was right to think so. Most probably I ended up getting the portions wrong or something... but this did not taste anything like a brownie. I think these would be the type of treats that I'll fool kids with, telling them how these are real brownies. They taste nothing like the real deal, but, given that there was no chocolate, butter or eggs in this, I wasn't very surprised. Anyhow, this was still quite good. A different type of good. Most probably I'll be sticking to my decadent and chocolatey brownies for next time.

Sweet Potato Brownies
Adapted from Deliciously Ella
Ingredients
1 medium sweet potato
1/3 cup of almond flour
7 medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup flour
2 tbsp raw cacao powder
2 tbsp maple syrup
pinch of salt

1. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into small cubes.
2. Steam them for roughly half an hour or until they are soft.
3. In a food processor, mix sweet potato and dates together until they form a consistent paste.
4. Sift flours, salt and cacao powder in a separate bowl.
5.  Mix in sweet potato paste and maple syrup and stir until all well incorporated.
6. Preheat oven at 350F and bake in a 4X8 inch pan for approximately 25 minutes.
7. Wait until cool to remove from pan.
8. Enjoy!


PS: If you have a sweet tooth like me, you might consider adding more dates. I found that mine was not sweet enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment